Student-made Games from Will Rogers Elementary
For the Fall 2017 to Spring 2018 school year, five teams of 4th and 5th graders participated in the LevelUp program and created games, including the following:
- In “football game”, two players control their avatars at the same time using different keys on the keyboard. One player can hand off the ball to a team member or steal it from the opposing team by getting close to them.
- In “Riding Adventures” the player controls a horse in a race using arrow keys, jumping over obstacles along the way. Eating a peppermint makes the horse go faster, but hitting an obstacle sends you back to the beginning! It takes some real skill to jump over all the obstacles to the end of the race!
- “Penguin’s Quest” is a shooter game in which the player is a penguin that must pick up a snowball gun and use it to destroy ice blocks that are throwing snowballs back.
- “Unimathstics” is a math quiz game that mixes math and gymnastics. When a player types an answer, the game responds with a “correct” or “incorrect” message.
During the Summer of 2017, I redid the LevelUp lessons and tutored one of the students from the Spring 2017 outreach. He came up with a platformer game called “The adventures of Alex”. This game includes coins, gravity, deadly slimes, invisible platforms, and a game-winning orb! A link to that game is given below:
In the Spring of 2017, 3 teams composed of 4th and 5th graders at Will Rogers Elementary in Stillwater OK made games with student mentors from OSU. You can play the games at the following links:
- A platformer in which the player tries to escape from the trees into daylight. The player carries a flashlight which will turn on when you pick up a battery. Also, the player can pick up acorns to throw at the “gaper” to make it disappear. Controls are arrow keys for movement, and 1 or 2 to throw acorns left or right.
- A jumping game in which the player tries to avoid zombies by jumping over them. If a Zombie hits you, it pushes you off the screen. Also, the player turns different colors when on the ground or in the air. Controls are A and D for left and right, and space bar to jump.
- A adventure game with map and combat modes. The combat mode can be entered by finding the right spot in the green patch of grass. Combat options include attacking, running away, and drinking potions. Controls include the arrow keys and the enter key.